Theme II: Overview
What Does It Mean to Make The Healthy Choice The Easy Choice?
What is the easier of the two choices below for students, at school or at home:
- To snack on chips – or carrots?
- To watch TV – or run around the block?
- To eat fast food – or have a balanced, home-cooked meal with their family?
The answers, most often, are: snack on chips; watch TV; and eat fast food – clearly not the healthier choices. A key goal of the CATCH Program is to create an environment – at school and home – that makes the healthy choice easy and convenient.
Creating such an environment will help children practice healthier habits now – habits that will not only help them navigate the powerful influences ahead in their teen years, but will also make a lasting difference in the quality of their lives.
The second six weeks of the CATCH Program is “Our CATCH School: Creating Healthy Change.” During this period, the focus is on:
- Continuing building awareness of the CATCH Program and its goals: to encourage students to eat healthier foods, drink water or low-fat milk instead of sweetened beverages and get regular physical activity; and,
- Beginning to create an environment in which the healthy choice is the easy choice.