Theme IV Overview (9wk)
The theme of the fourth nine-weeks is “CATCH MVPs: Celebrating Success.” The focus is on reinforcing positive healthy behaviors by:
- Celebrating the success of the CATCH Program in your school;
- Recognizing staff who have contributed;
- Honoring students who put the lessons of CATCH into action.
Other ways to keep CATCH momentum alive: consider presenting certificates to “Community MVPs,” sending personalized Thank You notes to those who have played key roles, and announcing the names of all who have earned special recognition during school-wide meetings or announcements.
What Does Success Look Like?
The large study that tested the effectiveness of the CATCH Program found that CATCH succeeded in producing lasting change in children’s dietary and physical activity behaviors. Key study findings included:
- Students consumed less fat and participated in more physical activity outside of school;
- School cafeterias provided meals that were lower in fat; and
- Students were more physically active during PE classes.
When study researchers checked back three years later, they found that the changes in diet and physical activity had been maintained.
As you know, changing behaviors takes time. It happens in small steps and it requires continuous positive reinforcement. That’s why participation, effort and even small changes deserve wide recognition and celebration.