Count Down - #12
|Count Down - #12|
|Section:||Warm-Up & Cool-Down|
|Equipment:||1 polyspot for every two students, music (optional)|
|Fitness Component(s):||Cardiovascular efficiency, muscular strength, flexibility|
|Skill Theme(s):||Traveling, dodging, spatial awareness|
- Students and polyspots are scattered throughout the activity area.
- On signal (music starts), students begin jogging and touching polyspots.
- Students move from spot to spot until they have touched 10 polyspots (require students to touch 10 different polyspots).
- After touching the 10th spot, the student performs 10 jumping jacks.
- Students then begin moving from spot to spot until they have touched 9 polyspots, and perform 9 jumping jacks after touching the 9th spot (remind students to touch 9 different spots).
- Continue the “Count Down” moving to 8 spots, 7 spots, 6 spots, etc., until students reach 0.
- Instruct students who finish before others to walk around the perimeter of the activity area until most students have finished the “Count Down.”
- Acknowledge safe traveling and completing the task correctly. Discourage racing.
Now Try This:
- Designate a center line. Require students to cross the center line each time they move to a different polyspot.
- Designate a muscular strength or stretching exercise instead of jumping jacks.
- Challenge students to use a different locomotor movement from spot to spot.
- Challenge students to perform a different exercise for each phase of the “Count Down.”
- Challenge students to “Count Down” in less than a designated time period (5-7 minutes).
- BASKETBALL, FLOOR HOCKEY, SOCCER, TENNIS, VOLLEYBALL: students move from spot to spot performing a skill specific to the respective piece of sport equipment. (Basketball/Soccer—hand/foot dribble. Floor Hockey—stick handle puck, tennis ball, or yarn ball. Tennis—paddle “downs” or “ups.” Volleyball—walk, toss, & set/forearm pass).