December 13, 2023
Our lessons enable schools to provide a comprehensive substance misuse education to students in grades K-8. Research has demonstrated that early prevention is the only effective deterrence of substance abuse in high school students and that introducing instruction in this area starting in early elementary school will reduce the impact of substance misuse2. Furthermore, substance misuse prevention is part of health education standards required in schools nationwide. Our lessons align with national learning objectives and several education state standards.
- Prescription and over-the-counter medication
- Physiological effects of alcohol, tobacco, fentanyl, and other drugs, including household substances
- Unsafe situations, including drinking and driving
- Poisoning and overdose
- Legal and social consequences of drug misuse
- Emergency 911 help
- Reporting suspected misuse
- Talking to trusted adults
- Refusal skills, avoidance, and healthy alternatives
How to Purchase
Substance misuse prevention lessons are available to schools that purchase the Health Ed Journeys curriculum. Organizations that work with youth and focus on substance misuse prevention may purchase the lessons as a stand-alone product. Contact our Government Partnerships team at [email protected] for more information.
(2) Pettengill C. A Toolkit to Start Substance use Prevention in Elementary Schools 2021:1-27.